Friday, January 21, 2011

My Almost Name(s)


My almost name was supposed to be Erika. My daddy's name is Eric and he deemed it really original that my name be Erika. The request didn't fly well with mommy dearest, so they came up with Erline. Er (Eric) + line (Eveline) = Erline. Now... in Haiti your first name doesn't really matter and everyone calls you by your middle name... so it was decided my middle name would be Erline.

The twist... my mom's best friend (Rose-Marie) was having trouble having children and always wanted a baby girl. So in clear bestie fashion, she gave me her first name (it didn't really matter anyway, everyone would call me Erline. The wonderful concoction she and her husband came up with).

Fast forward six years later. I'm transported to the U S of A and get to this fine institution called public school and everyone is calling me Rose.

Almost names are absolutely awesome. It gives me a chance to sit at work and daydream about my maybe-life as Erika or even Erline. But oh how I loved my Rose Erline Etienne life and even better my Rose Etienne Horsford life :).

No comments:

Post a Comment